Matthew Allan BSc (Hons), AMBCS
I have always been technology literate because I have always worked with computers from a very young age & therefore have knowledge not just with software but also with hardware. This is shown by when I built a custom built computer for myself. Also when there have been problems in my previous work placements, I have always tried to figure out the problem because it has helped to expand my knowledge of computing.
My career plans are to work in the IT industry as an computer repair & service technician. My website provides tutorials to non-technological literate individuals, so they can understand technology more so than they previously did. I am a forum moderator on the Linux Distro Community website, as well as an associate member of the BCS (British Computer Society).
2013 - 2014 Edge Hill University, Ormskirk
Bachelor of Science Degree With Honours In Computing - 2:1
Dissertation - An Assessment of The Vulnerabilities In Home Networks
* Internet Security - Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Windows ISA Server 2006, Microsoft Active Directory, Encryption, VPNs, DMZs & Microsoft Forefront TMG Firewall 2010.
* Computer Forensics - EnCase & file systems.
* IT Management - ITIL & PRINCE2 frameworks.
* Project Management - Gantt charts, Product Flow Diagrams, Methodologies & Risk Management Methods.
* Legal, Social, Ethical & Professional Issues In Computing - Ethical Frameworks & Ethical Theories.
2011 - 2013 Liverpool Community College, Liverpool
Foundation Degree In Computing - Pass
* Systems Analysis - DFDs, ERDs & Flowcharts.
* Databases - Brief overview of SQL.
* Web Design e.g. HTML, CSS & jQuery - I coded a website in college for the website design module about technological gadgets, although it is not the one I am currently using for my website right now.
* Computer Systems Architecture & Networks - malicious software, binary & operating systems.
* Programming -
* C++ - I coded a program in college that allowed a gym to save a member’s details & also to display details about the gym.
* Java - I created a loan calculator program, while at college.
* Visual Basic - I coded a program in college that allowed a gym to save a member’s details & also display details about the gym.
* Professional Skills
* Work Based Learning
* Project Management
2004 - 2011 Broadgreen International School, Liverpool
* English - D
* Mathematics - C
* Adult Literacy - Level 2
* Adult Numeracy - Level 2
* French - D
* Catering - C
* Biology - B
* Chemistry - C
* Physics - C
* Italian Listening & Reading Entry Level Certificate - Grade 3
* OCR Level 2 Nationals First Certificate in ICT - Merit
* OCR Level 2 Nationals Certificate in ICT - Merit
* Level 2 Certificate In Legal Studies - Distinction
* OCR Level 3 Nationals in ICT - Pass
* Units Included - Digital Business Communication, Spreadsheets, Databases & Creating a Digital Showcase.
Universal Technologies LTD, Liverpool (Voluntary Work)
* Configuring tablet computers using Cisco Meraki.
* Installing VoIP phones.
* Setting up & backing up computers.
* Assisting to fix computer problems with fellow IT technicians.
* Following technical director’s orders.
* Assisting with the servers.
* Asset tagging all valuable equipment in educational institutions.
Albion Youth Club, Liverpool (Voluntary Work)
October 2011 - April 2013
* Changing computer components & dealing with computer problems.
* Fixing the network infrastructure of the computer room.
* Dealing with project coordinator’s queries & helping him to understand computers a bit more about the hardware & software.
Matthews Sutton & Co LTD, Liverpool
* Filing paper work.
* Drafting formulas for spreadsheet documents.
Lightcliffe Volkswagen, Liverpool
February 2007 - March 2007
* Dealing with customer queries.
* General cleaning maintenance.
* Performing tasks on a rota basis & communicating with colleagues.
* Working towards targets on a weekly basis.
Communication - Whilst at the Albion Youth Club, I explained complicated information e.g. queries to do with software & hardware issues using simplistic ways of communication. I have developed strong interpersonal skills working within a team in order to meet targets, while at University. Furthermore, in my past roles I was required to liaise with a range of different clients in an approachable & professional manner.
Organisation - While at Universal Technologies LTD, it was my responsibility to ensure that important deadlines are met. Also I was given targets & was held accountable if these were not met. Therefore, it was imperative that I prioritised my workflow on a daily basis in order to meet these targets.
Methodical - While working at the Albion Youth Club & Universal Technologies LTD, I proved myself to be adept at following standard procedures where necessary so as to adhere to company/security policies. These skills also allow me to complete tasks in an efficient manner.
Self-Motivation - I also have a disciplined approach to studying in a variety of computing areas from a strong desire to learn, that has developed from primary school & has progressed into University. In all of my previous roles, I have been able to effectively implement my disciplined approach within the workplace as I often set self-imposed deadlines so as to increase my efficiency. This has helped me to achieve my goals.
Teamwork - At University & in my previous job roles, I have had to work as part of a team & therefore gaining skills more intensively. Whilst working in a team at University, one of my roles was to create network topology diagrams & explain the terms in a pseudo company setting. Another team task was to set up a bogus LAN of the fake company. These have sometimes been a larger team or a close-knit team. These experiences have given me knowledge of how to interact within this situation & I am confident that I will be able to transfer these skill into my full time role.
References Available Upon Request